ARTICLES OF ASSOCIATION
Hurling Club of Madison
Revised Friday, March 11, 2016
Article One - NAME
The name of this organization is the Hurling Club of Madison hereinafter referred to as HCM.
Article Two – PURPOSE
The Hurling Club of Madison is a non-profit membership organization establish to play and promote the game of hurling.
Article Three – MEMBERSHIP
Membership in the club is open to any individual who meets the following criteria:
(2) Is permitted to join by the HCM Board if the individual has never been a member of the club before
(3) Pays the yearly dues for the club, as set by the HCM Board
(4) Holds membership in an outside club but is permitted to participate in HCM practices, training and leagues by reciprocal agreement between the HCM Board and authorized leader(s) of the player's outside club
(5) Has reached the age of at least 16 years at the time of participation in any HCM match, training or practice
Article Four - AMENDMENT OF ARTICLES OF ASSOCIATION
A majority vote by the Board is required to amend the Articles of Association.
Hurling Club of Madison
Adopted Tuesday, January 18, 2011
Section One – OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS
The Hurling Club of Madison shall be governed by a Board of Directors (hereinafter the “Board”) who in the case of the General Manager are elected by the general membership at the October Annual General Meeting (AGM). The remaining board members are appointed by the sitting General Manager.
Officers and Directors are expected to be current dues paying members of the HCM.
Section Two – ELECTION OF OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS
The General Manager is elected by the general membership at the October Annual General Meeting (AGM). The remaining board members are appointed by the sitting General Manager.
The members of the Board shall be drawn from the membership of the HCM and be members in good standing. Board members shall be appointed by the GM no later that 30 days following the AGM. The Board shall consist of the following:
Three officers: General Manager, Secretary and Treasurer whose general responsibilities are listed in Addendum A.
3 Directors whose general responsibilities are listed in Addendum B.
Section Three - TERMS OF OFFICE FOR OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS
The General Manager is elected for a one-year term and may be re-elected as the membership allows. HCM Officers and Directors are appointed for a one year term and may be re-appointed as deemed appropriate by the sitting GM.
If an Officer or Director should resign before his or her term ends or be unable to complete his or her term of office, the GM, may replace that Officer or Director for the remainder of the un-expired term until the next election.
If the GM resigns before the end of his or her term, the Secretary shall assume the role of GM and organize the election of a new GM as soon as possible., The newly elected GM will serve until the end of the original term and may run for re-election at the club’s AGM utilizing the nomination and selection process outlined above.
Section Four - QUORUM AND VOTINGA quorum for the Board shall consist of a minimum of 2 Board members with at least 2 Officer(s) in attendance. Action by the Board must be by a majority of the quorum.
Section Five - COMMITTEES
HCM has three standing committees: Hurling, Membership and Finance. General responsibilities for these committees are listed in the accompanying addendum.
Section Six - MEETINGS
The Annual General Meeting (AGM) shall be held in October or November each year as the Board or GM may designate with proper notice being sent to all members. Any member in good standing may attend. Such notice shall accompany the notice of the election of new General Manager.
Additional meetings of board committees will be held as needed and determined by the committee chair and/or General Manager. Although these and all meetings are open to the membership, notifying the membership at-large is not required.
Section Seven - RULES OF ORDER
Roberts Rules of Order, or any other set of Rules of Order duly adopted by a majority of the Board, shall govern parliamentary procedure in the HCM meetings.
Section Eight - BYLAWS
The Bylaws shall be adopted for the governance of the HCM by a 75% majority of the membership. A quorum of 10 members is required.
Section Nine – Removal of Officers
Removal of an HCM officer shall follow the same procedure as changing the bylaws. If the event that the GM is removed, the Secretary will assume GM duties and hold an election for a new GM as soon as possible.
Hurling Club of Madison
Adopted Tuesday, January 18, 2011
OFFICER AND DIRECTOR POSITIONS
The responsibilities of the HCM officers shall include but not be limited to the following:
- Set overall strategy for the HCM
- Lead efforts to revise Articles of Association, By-Laws, and Addendums as needed
The GM’s responsibilities include:
- Supervising and coordinating HCM activities
- Calling and presiding over regular and special meetings of the Board
- Ensuring the holding of the Annual Meeting as called for by club’s bylaws
- Appointing, with a majority vote of the Board, standing or ad hoc committees for the HCM and their respective chairpersons
The Secretary’s responsibilities include:
- Giving notice of the HCM Board meetings
- Taking and distributing meeting minutes at Board and special meetings
- Maintaining a permanent record of all HCM proceedings
- Tallying votes from the Board and general membership
- Maintaining and circulating the current Articles of Association, Bylaws and Addendums of the HCM
- Taking attendance at HCM Board meetings
- Supervising the club’s annual election
The Treasurer’s responsibilities include:
- Receiving all funds paid to the HCM
- Disbursing money on properly authorized orders/invoices
- Maintaining the permanent record of all financial matters
- Preparing a Treasurer’s Report on the status of the operating funds for all meetings of the Board, including the Annual Meeting
- Preparing a final report for the prior fiscal year and submitting such report to the Board
- Transferring financial records to the current treasurer
- Assisting in preparation of event-based budgets and related record keeping
- Serving as a resource for the Director(s) of Fundraising, participating in associated activities as needed
- Preparing and filing an annual tax return, as needed
- Chairing the Investments or Finance Committee and overseeing its functions, including the appropriate investment of funds
- Preparing an annual budget with the assistance of the Finance Committee
- Overseeing risk management and insurance.
- Maintaining the club’s non-profit tax status
Directors’ responsibilities include:
- Serving as liaisons among the HCM leadership, the membership, and the community at large
- Representing the diverse interests of the general membership
- Assisting the Officers in the administration of the HCM and in recruitment
- Attending Board meetings on a regular basis
- Attending club events on a regular basis
- Contributing to the work of at least one standing or ad hoc committee
The Chair(s) for each committee shall be responsible for submitting financial goals, including budgets, in writing to the Treasurer throughout each fiscal year. The financial goals are to be reviewed and rejected, accepted, or accepted with modifications by the Board.
The responsibilities of the Membership Committee include:
- Creating and executing strategies to recruit and retain members
- Coordinate PR and marketing efforts
- Maintain club website
- Oversee non-hurling events
- Insuring that at least one representative on the committee attends events that are planned by the committee
- Oversee all non-hurling equipment acquisition, sales and inventory management with Hurling & Finance Committees as needed
The responsibilities of the Hurling Committee include:
- Planning and managing all club on-field activities
- Selection of Inter-city Panel - Coach and Selection Committee has independent authority
- Running summer and winter leagues
- Coordinate NACB Tourney Panel - Coach and Selection Committee has independent authority
- Train and organize referee staff
- Oversee league disciplinary tribunals
- Coordinate travel and accommodation for inter-city games
- Oversee all hurling equipment acquisition, sales and inventory management with Hurling & Finance Committees as needed
The responsibilities of the Finance Committee include:
- All dues listed under Treasurer job description
- Soliciting club sponsors